When winds are reliably forecast to be or become so during racing:
A) Sustained 18+ knots and/or,
B) gusting over 20+ knots there will be no racing.
Past experience has shown that these conditions can overwhelm smaller boats and crew. They also lead to damage to sail/rigging etc.
Criteria for forecasts will be taken from:
A) NOAA forecasts,
B) WindFinder, and
A combination of the above has been found to be consistently more reliable than NOAA alone. Permitting larger boats, that may be able to handle such conditions, to continue racing while smaller boats face unacceptable risks would not be consistent with the Corinthian spirit.
- Both Windward/Leeward AND Long Course races (8 to 10 miles) will be run each time.
Rules have been relaxed to be more inclusive and accommodate new racers.
- “Mother-Loders” will have their own long-course competition for first year racers.
- Spinnaker ratings will only be applied when the spinnaker is used. Otherwise boats will be scored on their non-spin rating so no class selection is required to be made.
- Skippers may alternate between “true-cruiser” & “racer cruiser” class racing in order to gain experience and comfort in completing with both types of racing. High point scoring system will be implemented to encourage participation & competition. Mentors and experienced crew will be available for skippers who could use skilled hands.
- Novices and Multi-hulls are all welcome.